CBS students must also read the information available on my.cbs.dk about leave of absence.
In pursuance of s. 36 (1) in Ministerial Order no. 110 of 30 January 2017 on Admission and Enrolment to bachelor programmes at universities (bacheloradgangsbekendtgørelsen) and s. 22 (1) in Ministerial Order no. 111 of 30 January 2017 on Admission and Enrolment on Master’s (Candidatus) Programmes at Universities (Kandidatadgangsbekendtgørelsen) the following rules on students’ leave of absence at CBS’ bachelor and master programmes are laid down.
1. A student can be granted a leave of absence from his/her programme due to personal circumstances, see however subsection (2). Paid employment/work is not considered personal circumstances, and consequently a leave of absence cannot be granted solely due to paid employment/work. The decision on the application for leave of absence shall be decided by the academic programme director.
(2) Leave of absence cannot be granted before the student has completed the first academic year of the bachelor programme or the first semester of the master programme and passed the exams which, according to the programme regulations, are placed in the first academic year / the first semester, respectively, see however subsections (3)-(5).
(3) Leave of absence must be granted if it is based on maternity, adoption or military service, cf. the act on staff of the Danish army.
(4) Students who have contracted with the Danish army to make themselves available for deployment, immediately or in the long term, are subject to the rules in sec. 13 b in the act on staff of the Danish army.
(5) When warranted by extraordinary circumstances, the study board may grant exemptions to the rule in subsection (2).
2. The application for leave of absence shall be submitted to the programme secretariat accompanied by the necessary documentation.
(2) Leave of absence shall usually be granted until the beginning of a semester or academic year. Leave of absence for another period can be granted if the teaching activities allow it. The leave of absence shall be for a length of up to one year.
(3) If warranted by extraordinary circumstances, a leave period can be extended upon submission of another application. However, normally a leave of absence cannot be granted for a period of time which exceeds 2 years in total.
(4) The academic programme director can allow the student to return to his/her studies before the leave of absence expires.
3. The student is not entitled to attend the teaching activities of the programme during his/her leave of absence.
(2) In general, the student is not entitled to take an exam or test in his/her programme during his/her leave of absence. To a certain extent, it is, however, possible for the student to register for any exams from previous semesters that have not yet been passed. It shall be stated in the decision regarding leave of absence which exams the student can register for. In addition, it is possible to submit a master’s thesis contract during the leave of absence.
(3) During his/her leave of absence, a student is not entitled to stand as candidate for or be on the CBS Board of Directors, study boards, or the Academic Council.
4. Periods of leave of absence shall not be included in calculation of the maximum period of time allowed for completing the programme, see the programme regulations, or other deadlines of the programme, see however subsection (2).
(2) When calculating the period of which the student is delayed in relation to the prescribed period of study, cf. s. 31 of the Ministerial Order on Bachelor and Master’s (Candidatus) Programmes at Universities (the University Programme Order), regarding special guidance for students prone to dropping out, periods with delay as a consequence of adoption or maternity/paternity leave, and periods with leave as a consequence of military service, deployment as part of international military operations, long-term illness, care of family members who are handicapped, seriously ill, dying or the like, shall not be included.
5. A student who returns to his/her programme after a leave of absence is not entitled to complete the programme in pursuance to the programme regulations that he/she was subject to before the beginning of the leave of absence.
CBS, 30 August 2017
Dean of Education
Act on the staff of the Danish army, cf. consolidating Act no. 667 of 20 June 2006, as amended by s. 3 in act. no. 1264 of 16 December 2009 on the amendment of the act on leave of absence for military service and leave for service in the UN etc., and other acts.
(Leave of absence in case of military deployment, etc.)
13 b. Programmes established by virtue of or according to legislation applying to the areas under the Ministry of Children and Education and the Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation entitle education seekers, who contract with the Danish army to make themselves available for deployment immediately or in the long term, to be absent if they are called up in pursuance of their contract. The same applies to traineeships, however, cf. 5).
(2) If the education seeker is absent for less than one month of an academic year due to military service, he/she is entitled to an exemption from any compulsory attendance rules. If the absence takes longer than one month, the education seeker is entitled to leave of absence from his/her programme or teaching activities. If the education seeker has been enrolled in a programme, which has not started yet, the educational institution is entitled to guarantee enrolment later instead of leave of absence.
(3) Upon expiry of the leave of absence, the education seeker is entitled to return to his/her programme or teaching activities if it is still offered by the educational institution. The educational institution shall decide when the education seeker can resume his/her studies.
(4) If the deployment is assumed to be more than 3 months, the education seeker is entitled to de-register from the programme or teaching activities. In that case, the education seeker is entitled to a refund of any tuition fee or other fees, for which the education seeker has not received any education, teaching, board and lodging or the like and which exceeds DKK 1,000. In order to receive a refund, the education seeker shall inform the educational institution of his/her right to de-register when he/she applies for enrolment.
(5) Students who are enrolled in vocational or agricultural education with a training agreement are subject to the rules on leave of absence for military service and leave of absence for deployment abroad. 4) on refunds shall also apply to s. 5.
(6) Upon negotiation with the current minister, the minister of defence is entitled to decide that the leave of absence scheme also shall apply to other public education.
Information is available on cbs.dk about admission, enrolment, transfer to another university, re-enrolment etc.
Legislation in English
Only few of the acts and ministerial orders etc. in force exist in an English translation. If there is no English version or if only a historic version of the act/ministerial order exists, the Danish version is available instead.
CBS-staff should use the Danish page.
Lov om adgangsregulering ved videregående uddannelser – see also Bekendtgørelse om digital kommunikation ved ansøgning om optagelse på videregående uddannelse
Ministerial order on admission and enrolment on full-time programmes at universities (in Danish) – Bekendtgørelse om adgang til universitetsuddannelser tilrettelagt på heltid (Universitetsadgangsbekendtgørelsen)
Erhvervskandidatbekendtgørelsen, with later amendments – Bekendtgørelse om akademiske erhvervsoverbygningsuddannelser ved universiteterne og erhvervskandidatuddannelser ved universiteterne og de videregående kunstneriske uddannelsesinstitutioner